Three parents have been convicted to date of murdering their children from following teachings in the book “To Train Up A Child”. Christian ministers Michael and Debi Pearl in the book advocate:
- using plastic tubing to beat children,
- “Blanket training” babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor etc.
- “Swatting” babies as young as six months old with instruments such as “a 12-inch willowy branch,” thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
- Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
- Inflicting punishment until a child is “without breath to complain.”
Books like that of the Pearls presumably are allowed to be sold because of the First Amendment rights to freedom of speech. While it is hard believing that Congress had this sort of thing in mind when it passed the Amendment (although I…
View original post 139 more words